Saturday, November 12, 2011

Really?

Is it really been a week since my last post?  Time flies, having fun or not.  Been reading, nothing terribly original or challenging, but better than the constancy of the Idiot Box.     I did, however, become a constant viewer of Oprah Winfrey's Lifeclass, which was kind of like Oprah's Greatest Hits.  She went through her shows and grouped together those that supported a single lesson, life view, etc.  One that stood out to me was "when people tell you who they are, believe them".

I have tended not to believe people, as often what they'll say is a negative attribute and we're trained in this culture not to support negativity - but people often know more about themselves than they might be aware of.  I have a friend who used to say the following about herself:  "deep down inside i think i'm really superficial".  i used to think that was a clever use of words, until there was a crisis in our friendship and she simply stopped returning my calls.  The crisis?  According to Janet, i wasn't paying as much attention to her as i usually did and it went on for months. It took me awhile to figure out the timeline - yes, it did, for the first few months after my mother's death.  At times I wonder what it was 'really' about - then i decided it was about exactly what she told me.  She's not that complicated.

Oy vey!

No comments:

Post a Comment