Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Republicans and Hypocrisy

A recent Republican debate featured a question about gays and lesbians, focused on marriage.  Each person stated that g/l marriage was not a 'right', was somehow threatening, shouldn't be OK.  The subtext was "these people are bad, I feel threatened".".

these same people, the debaters, would swear on a stack of bibles that they are God-fearing Christians.  (I never understood why it was important to fear God.  Isn't God supposed to be all-loving and forgiving.  never mind, that's for another post). 

I'm a lesbian.  I'm not a threat to anyone.  My marriage is good, solid, not legal.  As we near the 28 year mark, I can't help but remember that 1 out of 2 marriages - the legal ones - end in divorce.  What is so sacrosanct?  How is my marriage a threat?  How are two people living in suburban America in love, sharing a house and so forth, undermining the happiness of anyone else?

I felt sad listening to the debate, sad that somehow there remains a percentage of people whose prejudice causes them to think negatively of people like me.  I have a brother who feels the same way.  How sad is that?!  Fortunately, the rest of my family don't share his prejudice.

Gays and lesbians want the same thing everyone else wants - to live in peace, to pursue love and happiness, to find a special someone with whom to share the days, years, decades.  If that somehow causes Rick Santorum to lose some sleep, well, frankly, he's the one with the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment