Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Three Years

It's been three years since my father was rendered helpless by a massive stroke.  It was either his third or fourth stroke.  Unlike the others, this one wiped his cognitive skills, and all but the most rudimentary awareness.  I don't think he would want to be like this.

It struck 16 months after my mother's death.  I've read this is not unusual, for one spouse to suffer a traumatic illness after the other dies.  He was distraught all during those 16 months, as anyone would be.  My mother's death was fast - five weeks from diagnosis to death.  During those 16 months, he said many times he'd always thought he'd go first.  I think his stroke was the result of a broken heart.

I pray he's experiencing some peace these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment